To many, a Waterpik is a luxury that seems unnecessary if one brushes correctly and often. So why is that dentists so often recommend supplementing a dental hygiene routine with a Waterpik? For those unfamiliar with Waterpiks, here are some of the many benefits that may encourage you to make a Waterpik part of your daily dental routine.
What is a Waterpik?
Waterpik is brand name for one of many water flossers or oral irrigators on the market today. As such, many people refer to any electronic water-flossing device as a “waterpik” despite the brand they choose. What all water flossers have in common is that they produce an electronically assisted jet stream of water; that jet stream, whether consistent or pulsating, is used to clean hard to reach places in the mouth, as well as extract particles of food that brushing may have missed.
A toothy endorsement
There is a reason why dentists recommend brushing and flossing. That’s because dentists know that brushing alone will only reach approximately 60% of a tooth’s surface; the remaining 40% can only be reached by flossing. Yet less than half of Americans floss regularly. Why is that? The reasons are numerous: many people have difficulty flossing due to dental work or gum sensitivity; others find the whole procedure awkward or inconvenient. And getting a child to floss regularly – especially if they have braces – can be a near impossible expectation. That’s where the benefits of a Waterpik come in.
Proven Better than Flossing
Clinical studies proved that using a Waterpik to floss results in up to a 75% reduction in plaque than in people who did not floss, and up to 58% less plaque for those who used traditional string floss. That’s because the stream of water allows for increased ease of cleaning especially – for those who wear braces, have had extensive dental work like bridges, wear dentures, or who have hard-to-reach spots.
Too much plaque can result in bloody, unhealthy gums which, left untreated, can lead to gum disease, gingivitis, and periodontal disease. A Waterpik uses water pressure and pulsations to remove this daily film buildup and maintain healthy gums.
Ease of Use
Despite its importance, many still find flossing as a chore. There are still others who may have mobility or coordination issues that make it hard to floss. Children especially may never floss without an argument or fight. The ease by which water flossing can be achieved can make flossing a convenient, pleasurable task. Plus, it’s safe to use and proven more effective than traditional flossing.
Dental Care in Henderson, Nevada
Most of us learned to brush and floss at a young age, yet many people don’t floss for one reason or another. If you are on the fence about whether or not to purchase a Waterpik or have any other questions about your dental health, reach out to the processionals at Dedicated Dental. Located in Henderson, the friendly and experience team at Dedicated Dental are dedicated to one thing – your complete dental care. Call us today at (702) 566-5509 or click here and schedule an appointment online. Be sure to check out our specials or ask for a same day appointment!